Thursday, December 13, 2012

Has highlight crossed into a whole new realm of Social?

I gave up a while ago trying to keep things about me off the internet…  It is pretty much impossible to do nowadays, unless you are Amish, live on a deserted island or have signed up for the first trip to Mars…

A new application launched a short while ago called Highlight (started on the west coast and is now spreading through NYC).  

In a nutshell, it’s an application that runs on your Smartphone and displays your location on a map and shows other folks all around you…   It breaks down folks by distance and conveniently displays a ton of potential information about them (as much as you’re willing to share when you setup your profile). 


Highlight takes social stalking to a whole new level...  With this application you are opting in to be stalked and participate in stalking others..   OK, that is the cynical version.  

I’m still trying to decide if this is going to kill services like match.com or just end up getting me on the side of a milk carton…

I decided to give the app a shot about two weeks ago…  It seems like 90% of the folks running the application in NY are guys, so it is not exactly the match.com replacement I was hoping for.  I’m guessing if I’m interested in a person nearby, I’m suppose to highlight them, but I would have to say that I’ve been a bit of a chicken in doing so.  How can you highlight people you don’t even know?   Is the intention just to highlight people you do know?   Definitely not an application for an introvert… 

I’ve also not seen anyone within of few feet of me appear on highlight…  The first person I see on my device standing right next to me will either make me crack up hysterically or run for my life…

Is this class of social connections the new wave of people making new friends, connections, etc?  

Only time will tell…


Stay tuned and keep an eye out for me on the side of the milk carton… 
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment