Friday, April 5, 2013

Three minutes with Bert Stern


The name Bert Stern isn't exactly a household name, but I will guarantee you that most individuals between 20 something and 100+ have seen many iconic photographs Bert has taken over his life.

While he is probably best known for some of the 2500+ pictures he took of Marilyn Monroe (my favorite is below), so many of his pictures have been ingrained in our lives of television, movies and other media.

So how did I come to meet Bert last night?   About a month ago my Dad was going over some of my new art work and mentioned that since I was blending my drawn art with photography, I should look up his old high school buddy Bert Stern.  Like most, I pulled up Google and within a few seconds realized that Bert was the man behind some of the most amazing pictures of actors and actresses in the past century.  I was so amazed by the sheer number of stars he has photographed over his career.

When I had my chance to say hello last night, I think Bert was a bit surprised when I told him that I wasn't looking for an autograph, picture, book collaboration, photograph session, etc.  I told him that I really just wanted to introduce myself and pass him a few things my Dad made copies of over the Easter holiday.  Pretty wild, but prior to becoming a photographer, Bert was an artist.  Over the years, he had created a number of sketches and holiday drawings that he sent to my Dad. Good thing Bert gave up drawing because his photography is so much more amazing.

The more I look into Bert's life, the more I realize how amazing his story is.  Really looking forward to attending his documentary premiering tonight by filmmaker Shannah Laumerister.

Bert Stern: Original Madman


Tickets for tonight’s premiere showing in NY and Miami can be found here:









Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment